These involtini are incredibly simple to make and can be prepared in advance. Feel free to replace the herbs, dried fruit and nuts with your personal preferences. Regardless of your personal choices, the flavour these little rolls pack is astounding!
One large aubergine
2 slices of prosciutto crudo
1 tablespoon of Parmeggiano Reggiano
A small bunch of rocket (wild works best)
A sprig's worth of basil leaves
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon dried currants
1 tablespoon pine nuts
Extra virgin olive oil and salt to taste
1. Begin by soaking the currants in balsamic vinegar for 10 minutes.
2. Cut the aubergine lengthwise into thin slices, roughly 5mm thick, season well with salt and place onto a piece of absorbent paper towel. Leave to sit for at least 5 minutes.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 160°C and gentle toast the pine nuts till golden brown, this should take around 10 minutes.
4. Finely chop the basil and rocket and place them into the container along with the balsamic vinegar and the currants. To this mixture add the grated parmigiano, extra virgin olive oil, toasted pine nuts and mix well.
5. Place a sautè pan onto medium high heat. Once hot, add a splash of olive oil and fry the aubergine for 1 minute on each side until soft and lightly browned. Once cooked remove from the pan and let cool.
6. To finish, lay the aubergine flat onto the board and place a tablespoon of the mixture on one end of the aubergine slice.
7. Roll tightly around the mixture until the aubergine overlaps and remove any excess with a knife.
8. Once rolled wrap the aubergine in a slice of prosciutto, making sure the prociutto overlaps.
9. Place the involtini onto a baking tray and bake for 5 minutes at 160°C. Remove from the oven and serve.