1 red pepper
1 large potato
1 tbsp smoked paprika
½ tsp crushed chili flakes
Pinch of saffron threads
Olive oil and salt to taste
Chopping board and knife
Rimmed baking sheet and oven
Pie pan or frying pan with an ovenproof handle, roughly 20cm in diameter
Preparation time 15 minutes
Cooking time 40 minutes
Serves 2-3 people
1.Begin by preheating your oven to 180C and lining a rimmed baking sheet with baking paper. Cut the potatoes into bite-sized cubes and season well with olive oil, salt and some of the paprika and chili from your spice mix.
You can peel your potatoes if the skins flavour and texture aren’t to your taste, but we recommend leaving the skins on for additional flavour and nutritional value. Place the potatoes onto the baking tray and place into the oven. Allow to cook for 30 minutes or until lightly coloured and tender.
2. While that is cooking, slice your bell pepper and onion into thin slices and set aside. Place a sauté pan over medium heat and add a small glug of olive oil. Add the onions to the pan and season with a pinch of salt. Allow them to caramelise by cooking them gently while stirring. This may take up to 15 minutes.
3. Remove the caramelised onions from the pan and turn up the heat to medium high. Add a splash of olive oil to the pan and once it is hot, add the sliced red peppers along with a pinch of salt. Allow to cook for 5 minutes or until the peppers are lightly coloured and softened.
4. Add the caramelised onions back to the pan along with the spice mix. Cook together with the spices for an additional five minutes. Remove from the pan and reserve together with the potatoes. While this is cooking you can finely grate the parmesan and reserve. Next, crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl and beat till homogenous together with a pinch of salt.
5. Once your veggies are done cooking, add the potato, onion and peppers to the bowl of eggs along with half of the parmesan.
6. To cook the tortilla, select a frying pan that has a metal handle with no plastic, suitable for placing in the oven, or a large enough pie pan that will hold the contents of the mixing bowl. Prepare the folded piece of baking paper by lining up the pointed tip with the middle of your cooking vessel and pushing down on the baking paper against the base of the pan. Cut the paper where it lines up with the outer edge of the pan. Lay down the baking paper and grease lightly with olive oil on both sides and nestle it into your cooking vessel.
7. Carefully pour the bowl of egg mixture over the baking paper. Gently move your ingredients with a spoon if necessary, to evenly distribute and sprinkle with the remainder of the parmesan.
8.Place the tortilla into the preheated oven for 20 minutes or until cooked through and optionally switch your oven setting to grill to crisp up the cheese on top!
9.Once nicely coloured allow to cool slightly before slicing into and serving. This dish can be served hot but is just as delicious served at room temperature.
This recipe is featured in our new recipe box service, If you like the sound of all of the ingredients for this recipe as well as two others, delivered fresh to your door please click the link here for more information. Check out the rest of our recipe box recipes here for more inspiration.