As the beautiful summer zucchini begin to fade away this recipe can be modified in a pinch to make use of Autumnal veggies. Try replacing zucchini and mint with carrot and coriander or butternut squash and rosemary.
2 medium zucchini (300g)
1 sprig of picked mint
1 sprig of picked parsley
A tablespoon of breadcrumbs
A lemon's worth of zest
100ml of olive oil
100g each flour and breadcrumbs to coat
1. Coarsely grate the zucchini into a bowl using a box grater. Once grated add salt and let sit for a couple of minutes to let the salt draw out excess moisture.
2. Finely chop the parsley, mint and lemon zest.
3. Using your hands, squeeze out the excess water from the grated zucchini. Discard the water and place the zucchini back into the bowl.
4. Add the chopped herbs, lemon zest and bread crumbs. Mix well.
5. Separate the mix into thirds and roll each into a small ball, pat down lightly to form a patty.
6. In a container mix together 1 part flour with 2 parts water till a light batter is formed. Fill another container with flour and another with breadcrumbs. Season each container lightly with salt.
7. Take each ball of zucchini, passing it first through flour, then batter, then bread crumbs to create a breaded coating.
8. Preheat a sauté pan and fill with a 1cm layer of olive oil
9. Cook in the pan till golden brown turning over every few minutes to make sure the correct colour is achieved.
10. Once done place onto a tray lined with some absorbent paper and finish with salt and lemon juice.